“We sell things that no one really needs it..it is a completely unnecessary product. But they still crave it”
Peter Chernin, News Corp COO, CTIA Sep 2006
We sell things that no one really needs it..it is a completely unnecessary product. But they still crave it Peter Chernin, News Corp COO, CTIA Sep 2006
As you know, News Corp
just acquired the german based but global player Jamba
previously bought by Verisign. (PR here
) Ruppert Murdoch’s NewsCorp is already owning Fox, Sky News, B-Sky-B, The Times, The Sun, The New-York Post, Harper & Collins and My Space. Peter Chernin, COO of the Company presented a part of their mobile vision at CTIA this week
. This is very interesting because this company is huge and is just entering seriously the mobile business with a broader view than pure mobile players and even than internet players mobilizing their strategy (Google, MSN, Yahoo,..) A few snippets :
- Mobile has to be seen as a medium in itself (forget about mobilizing your marketing).
- Technology has to get standardized to offer everything to everybody.
- Mobile content is everything but necessary, yet it is a big market & will grow even faster than in the last years.
- Mobile contents and service have to allow people to communicate more
- Advertisers need to understand the power of this medium.
I don’t agree with everything (I often don’t with Ruppert Murdoch’s vision of the world anyway) but I do also think that mobile is a unique & powerful medium, not an extension of the Internet. Via MocoNews